What is virtualization in cloud computing? Virtualization can be referred to the process to develop a virtual version of things like operating systems, servers, desktops, network resources, and storage devices. In simple words, virtualization in cloud computing is a technique for letting the users share an resource or an application in a physical form. It is performed when a logical name is assigned to physical storage.
Virtualization in Cloud Computing? Types, Benefits, Disadvantages
In this article we learn the basis types of virtualization in cloud computing its types, benefits and disadvantages.
Types of virtualization
There are many different versions of virtualization used in cloud computing. We have mentioned the major ones in detail below:
- Hardware Virtualization
A hardware virtualization is the one where the virtual machine manager is installed on the hardware system directly. Here, the main job performed by the hypervisor is to maintain the process, memory, and other related resources in hardware.
This type of virtualization is mainly perform on the server platforms as operating a virtual machine is very easier when compared with a physical server.
- Operating System Virtualization
Unlike hardware virtualization, the virtual machine manager is installed on the host operating system in this one.
The main use of this version is for testing the applications on various platforms.
- Server Virtualization
The process of masking the server resources is called server virtualization. It is used for simulating the physical servers using identity, processors, operating system, and numbers.
This technique results in the availability of sharing and utilizing many resources along with the maintenance of capacity for expansion.
- Storage Virtualization
It can be called an array of servers that controlled by a virtual storage system. The storage virtualization makes it possible to control storage from a great number of resources.
The main use of this technique is to back-up and recovery in cloud computing.
What are the major benefits of Virtualization?
The benefits offered by virtualization are pretty broad. We are going to mention the main ones in detail below:
- The main benefit offered by virtualization is proper protection from system failures. It performs this job by allowing the users to access the same kind of work on a different device.
- Using this technology from physical storage can be transferred to a virtual server. It means the administrators can save time that they usually spend finding data in a hard drive.
- The users can create cost-effective strategies with the help of the virtualization process
- The IT professionals get great assistance from virtualization for making process efficient and agile.
- The hardware and software are updated automatically by the majority of virtualization providers. Unlike sending people for an update, it is installed by the third-party providers, so the IT professionals have more time to complete other tasks.
What are the major Disadvantages of Virtualization in Cloud Computing?
They are mentioned in detail below:
- There is a high cost of implementation associated with the virtualization.
- The chances of availability and scalability issues are quite common in virtualization.
- This process demands a great number of links to work together for proper functioning.